For new brand owners, chaos is part of life. There are so many things that must be considered, and figuring out the importance of each piece of your business puzzle can be overwhelming. When it comes to beverage packaging design, even the smallest overlooked detail can have an overwhelming effect on the success of a product launch.
BUILDING YOUR BRAND
You may have a fairly solid idea about how you want to build your brand, but for a lot of business-minded people, the creativity when we get into artistic design – like designing a successful package – can make us stumble.
When launching a brand that requires packaging – labels, capsules and closures, or glass – it’s important to choose the right creative team to help you bring your branding design vision to life. Where do you start with that? Find a creative packaging design company that fits the culture of your business and offers the best “CRAFT”.
- Creativity: A package design company that has a varied selection of dynamic designs has the creative component down. If the packaging designs all appear to have well thought out and distinctive branding, that design company likely has the ability to create a unique look for you as well. Being able to create a unique look within your product category is important to make your brand stand out among the rest.
- Real-World Experience: When looking at a design portfolio, make sure the designer has experience with packaging design, preferably within your industry. Designing brochures and logos require very different creative skillsets than designing a 3 dimensional food or beverage package that stands out among the intense competition in a retail environment.
- Attention to Detail: As a business owner, you know how important attention to detail is. In packaging design, there are a significant number of details that can only be spotted in the pre-production phase by a design company with knowledge and experience in the industry. A strong understanding of dynamic elements (such as store lighting, color selection, package readability, legalities in labeling, and brand competition in the retail environment) makes the difference between a mediocre packaging design company and an excellent one.
- Flexibility: Different industries – and even different segments within those industries—require unique approaches to set products apart from the competition. An experienced designer is prepared to create a supermarket private label package design using metallized substrates, then switch gears and time-travel back to 1776 and the Colonial Era when designing something like a historic, small batch whiskey package with eggshell felt paper, foil stamping, and spot gloss varnishes. This level of flexibility should be evident in the portfolio of the creative team you are considering.
- Total Quality Management: A qualified package design company will provide total quality management to each and every packaging design project. Your design company should have a track record of being available when the client is looking for answers, solving problems through proven processes, and managing the project from start to finish. Design companies come and go; be sure you’re working with an experienced branding and packaging designer to save you time and money.
We have all heard stories of business owners spending hours on phone calls and in meetings when things don’t go as planned because their inexperienced, affordable freelancer “never had that happen before.” A design company with experience will be able to foresee problems before they occur, and leverage their experience to steer clients in the direction that will provide the most successful outcome while minimizing unnecessary expenses as the result of bad project management.
At Golden Creative, we pride ourselves in hitting every point of the CRAFT litmus test. We have 20+ years of experience in a wide variety of industries, and we love what we do! We thrive on the creative process, the challenge, and the solution that makes the client say “Wow, that’s Golden!”
Keep an eye out for Part 2 of “Crafting Your New Brand Package” as we dive into the brand creation and launch strategy with Amir Peay, the owner of John L. Sullivan Irish Whisky. For more information or to check out our portfolios, call us at 916-985-3800!
It’s a Golden State of Mind.